Lab 14 – Topographic Maps
(1 or 2-Day Lab) This topic introduces concepts, applications, and usage of topographic maps. Deliver this topic using “Day 1” as the introduction and “Day 2” as the group/team activity. For students who are already familiar with the basics and concepts of topographic maps, skip the “Day 1” introduction and deliver the “Day 2” group/team activity only.
Diagram adapted from Berkeley.edu
Lesson 1 (or “Day 1”) Material
Lesson 2 (or “Day 2”) Group/Team Lab Material
Materials needed: poster board, scissors, glue or glue sticks, pencil or pen.
- Divide class into small teams of 2-4 students/each.
- Provide one medium-to-large sized poster board to each team.
- Provide scissors, glue and pencils, if required.
- Print “Day 2” student handout – one for each team.
- Day 2 Student Handout (Student Lab Instructions)
1:41 What Is Topography?
3:47 How to Read a Topo Map
3:59 How to Draw Contour Lines on a Map
- Develop and use models
- Scale, Proportion, & Quantity
- Systems & System Models