Mitosis & Cytokinesis
Topic (17) Use a model about cellular division related to complex organisms. (HS-LS1-4)
Mitosis is a type of cell division that results in two daughter cells each having the same number and kind of chromosomes as the parent nucleus, typical of ordinary tissue growth. Cytokinesis is the cytoplasmic division of a cell at the end of mitosis, bringing about the separation into two daughter cells.
Day 1 – Introduction
- Student Work Packet – Topic 17
Day 2 – Virtual Textbook
- Read Biology 17 – Mitosis
- Read Biology 17 – Cytokinesis
- Launch cK-12 – Cells (pdf)
- Launch cK-12 – Cell Division (pdf)
- Launch cK-12 – Cell Cycle (pdf)
- Read Biology Textbook – pages 126-147
- Teenage Explanation (Topic 17 Cell Division)
- Write a letter – Mitosis and Cytokinesis (pdf)
- Identify Cross-Cutting Concepts Activity.21.Biology-17
3:01 Animation How the Cell Cycle Works
4:33 mitosis 3d animation |Phases of mitosis|cell division
1:28 Real Microscopic Mitosis ( MRC )
Compare Contrast and Debate
Kickoff Debate Background: All states in the US have published standards (or, requirements) for their high school student population. This includes, for example, life science standards associated with knowledge and understanding of cell division. It is possible to understand the concepts of cell division without having all the words memorized. It is also possible to memorize the words and their definitions without really understanding the concepts.
- Position A: Honeycutt Science should make students memorize the words and definitions associated with cell division.
- Position B: Honeycutt Science should make students explain the process and concepts of cell division.
Standard Daily Material
- Day 1 – Standard material – introduction day
- Day 2 – Standard material – reading day
- Day 3 – Standard material – make a presentation
- Day 4 – Standard material – give a presentation
- Extra! – Enrichment and remediation options
Other Topic Specific Resources
- Distribute LS17 Bellringer DNA RNA Protein Synthesis.tnsp
- Distribute LS17 Bellringer Cellular Division.tnsp
- Distribute LS17 The Cell Cycle.tns
Special Notes and Notices
- Science & Engineering Practice: Develop and use models.
- Cross-Cutting Concept: Systems and System Models.
Emphasize HS-LS1-4 Use a model to illustrate the role of cellular division (mitosis) and differentiation in producing and maintaining complex organisms.