Topic (25) Evaluate claims about ecosystem stability vs ecosystem change. (HS-LS2-6)
The first protists originated around 1.7 billion years ago from simple societies of prokaryotic cells. Environmental conditions were significantly different then vs. now. Use this topic to explore, support, or refute the relationship of ecosystem stability and change – and its relationship to life.
2.5 billion – 1 billion years ago. Proterozoic Eon (Through millions of years, blue-green algae produced oxygen that reduced atmospheric methane, a potent greenhouse gas, and this reduced obviously the temperature. In Proterozoic were no plants on land, the continents were barren and naked.
Lesson 1 (or “Day 1”) Material
- Student Work Packet – Topic 25
Virtual Text Book
- Read Biology 25 – Protist
- Read Biology 25 – Protozoa
- Read Biology 25 – Paleoclimatology and Ancient Environments
- Read Biology Textbook – pages 536-554
4:11 Protists | Biology
2:58 Protista: The Ancestor Of All Plants And Animals
Standard Daily Material
- Day 1 – Standard material – introduction day
- Day 2 – Standard material – reading day
- Day 3 – Standard material – make a presentation
- Day 4 – Standard material – give a presentation
- Extra! – Enrichment and remediation options
Other Topic Specific Resources
Special Notes and Notices
- Science & Engineering Practice: Engage in scientific argument from evidence.
- Cross-Cutting Concept: Stability and Change.