Deep Dive: the Cell
Cell biology is the study of the cell as a complete unit, and the molecular and chemical interactions that occur within a living cell. Also known as cytology. Cell biology is concerned with the physiological properties, metabolic processes, signaling pathways, life cycle, chemical composition and interactions of the cell with their environment. It is essential for research in bio-medical fields such as cancer, and other diseases. Research in cell biology is closely related to genetics, biochemistry, molecular biology, immunology, and developmental biology.
Lesson 1 (or “Day 1”) Material
Lesson 2 (or “Day 2”) Material
- Day 2 Instructor Presentation
- Day 2 Student Handout
- Day 2 Rubric
- Read Biology 44 – Cell (biology)
- Read Biology 44 – Cancer cell
- Read Biology 44 – Mutation
- Read Biology 44 – Cloning
- Read from physiology textbook if available
Lesson 3 (or “Day 3”) Material
Lesson 4 (or “Day 4”) Material
2:02 Biology: Cell Transport
11:03 Cell Membranes
2:56 What is ATP?
Compare Contrast and Debate
Resources Documents and Links
- Digital Assets from cK-12.org (00.04; 00.05)
Special Notes and Notices
- Science & Engineering Practice: Engage in scientific argument from evidence.
- Cross-Cutting Concept: Energy and Matter: Flows, cycles, and conservation.